In Theni, the Sisters started in the year 1933 having the care of the poor and the needy of Theni District at heart. A simple beginning under the trees, the Holy Redeemer Hospital had its foundation in 1937 which grew into full fledged hospital with its focus on Mother and Child Care. Today it caters to all walks of life with different specialist.
The history of Holy Redeemer Hospital, Theni, goes back to 1933 when the Presentation Sisters of Ireland, came to Periyakulam, to offer educational facilities to the young girls of the area. In due course it was realized that educational facilities in Periyakulam were adequately responded to by other agencies while the needs in Theni were more urgent. Consequently, the Sisters shifted their field of activity in the educational and medical areas to Theni while continuing to reside in Periyakulam. It is important to note that the Sisters carried out their ministry in thatched huts and under shady trees.
At present the Hospital has strength of 85 beds with an operation theatre, x-ray plant, clinical laboratory for bio-chemistry tests and scan facilities. It is staffed by qualified male and female doctors and a committed medical, nursing, clerical and supportive staff. Besides 8 to 10 girls, coming from poor families are being trained in Nursing Aid per year.
The Indian Medical Association – Cumbum Valley Branch celebrated Doctors Day. Dr.Sr.Rajapushpam was honored and received Award for Service and Contribution the Medical Profession and Society. We too honored her and appreciated for her tireless service to the people.